Kevin is a Founder and CEO of Incredible Labs (acquired by Yahoo), makers of the intelligent agent Donna
Previously, he was a product manager at Twitter, leading the redesign of the website, the Director of User Experience at the gaming social network Raptr, and the designer of Yahoo! Pipes. He also co-founded the user experience web comic OK/Cancel, and is working on his upcoming book, See What I Mean: How to Use Comics to Communicate Ideas.
Storyboarding: Communicating Your Ideas with Comics & Drawings
Storyboards capture an experience in a visual way. They communicate complex ideas in succinct, understandable ways—whether for planning a feature film or the user experience of an application.
Kevin Cheng uses comics to make storyboards more understandable. And he even wrote a book about it for Rosenfeld Media; it’s entitled See What I Mean.
In this seminar, Kevin talks about how organisations like Google, eBay, and the U.S. Postal Service have opted for comics (instead of lengthy reports or requirements docs) to tell the stories of their users and their products.
You don’t need illustrator skills to do it, either. Kevin will show you how.
You’ll Learn To:
- Teach people by using comics
Your audiences will learn before they even know they’re learning
- See why comics are a “trojan horse” of information
- Convey who, what, why, and how a product fits into someone’s life
- Draw without fear
You’ll start to combine communication, imagination, expression, and time
- Get basic tools for drawing—even if you think you can’t draw
- Engage users early to solicit feedback, then document that with more drawings
- Fit your comics into storyboards
You’ll establish a repeatable process in your organisation
- Capture how things currently are done—and how you want them to change
- Reach users, teams, and stakeholders with a “show, don’t tell” approach
- Sell comics to stakeholders
You’ll persuade your boss using real data
- Hear examples of how the USPS and the U.S. Navy reached consumers via comics
- See how Adobe and eBay used comics for customer support and internal processes
Here's what others are saying about UX London
"Thanks again to @clearleft and crew for organizing one of the best conferences I have been to in a long time! #uxlondon"Josh Brewer @jbrewer
"Back to work after 3 days of inspiration during #uxlondon. Thank you @clearleft for a fantastic conference!"Gabriel Svennerberg @Svennerberg
"Awesome time at #uxlondon, met some great people and learnt a lot. Very inspiring. Thank you organisers!"Lorraine Paterson @lorraine_p